We Portuguese LOVE soup. From North to South, soup is a staple of our cuisine, and it does not matter whether it’s hot or cold outside. So for today’s recipe, we’ve got “Rancho”, a soup from the Minho region that could be a meal in its own right.
Here it is, for 4 servings.
- 350 grams of chick peas
- 4 large potatoes
- 120 grams of macaroni
- 250 grams of veal trotter
- 250 grams of pork belly
- 250 grams of “chouriço”
- 250 grams of boiled beef
- 1 dessert spoon of paprika
- 1 dessert spoon of lard
- 2 decilitres of olive oil
- 2 onions
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- Soak the chick peas for a few minutes
- Cook all the meat as well as the chick peas in water and add salt and pepper to taste
- Meanwhile fry the chopped onions gently in the lard and olive oil
- Remove the meat(s) when cooked and dice it in edible cubes
- Dice the potatoes in small pieces
- Add the potatoes, the meats and the macaroni back with the chick peas (the mixture should be think enough to stand a wooden spoon upright in it)
- Season to taste and serve hot
- Enjoy a soup that is a meal in itself!